What is the YAP Scheme?
As part of its policy of helping young musicians, the Trust became the founding sponsor of Young Artists’ Platform, an initiative created over 30 years ago to bring burgeoning talent to a wider audience through concert platforms around the UK. The aim of the scheme is to introduce new young artists to the concert circuit without exposing them to any personal financial burden and to provide financial and personal backup at this stage of an musician’s career.
Founded in 1983 by Callum Ross, the Young Artists’ Platform selects by audition a small number of musicians each year with a view to their giving them a shared London platform at Wigmore Hall before going on to play at music festivals and concert societies around the UK.
Important Aspects of the YAP Initiative include:
- Shouldering the risk of promoting a London concert and allowing musicians to perform to as wide and as influential an audience as possible.
- Providing continuing concert experience and so allowing for building repertoire and learning professional stagecraft.
- Boosting income at a time when finances are at their most vulnerable.
- Offering practical and financial help with producing publicity material including brochures, photographs and demo recordings.
- Providing sympathetic support and guidance with career decisions
In addition to the financial backing of the Tillett Trust, the Platform is also supported by the Milton Grundy Foundation and is now part of the Monday Platform series at London’s Wigmore Hall.
“The Tillett Trust has surpassed all my expectations. I felt great support from everybody involved from day one, and every venue where I have performed through the YAP scheme has been top-notch. The opportunities that the scheme provided have helped me immensely in developing my career and the trust is now doing the same for my Piano Trio. I am very grateful to Katie Avey for all her advice and help and I would strongly recommend the Tillett Trust YAP scheme to everyone who wants to take a large step forward in their career”
Alexander Sitkovetsky – September 2009
“Being on the Tillett Trust Young Artists’ Platform has been a tremendous boost for me, both in terms of concert experience and exposure. I can honestly say that the platform would be a great help for any young musician, providing an excellent springboard for a developing career”
Nicola Eimer – September 2005