What is the Tillett Debut scheme?
As part of its policy of helping young musicians, the Trust became the founding sponsor of a young musicians scheme created over 30 years ago to bring burgeoning talent to a wider audience through concert platforms around the UK. The aim of the scheme is to introduce new young artists to the concert circuit without exposing them to any personal financial burden and to provide financial and personal backup at this stage of an musician’s career.
The scheme selects by audition a small number of musicians each year with a view to their giving them a shared platform at a central London hall before going on to play at music festivals and concert societies around the UK.
Important aspects of the initiative include:
- Shouldering the risk of promoting a London concert and allowing musicians to perform to as wide and as influential an audience as possible.
- Providing continuing concert experience and so allowing for building repertoire and learning professional stagecraft.
- Boosting income at a time when finances are at their most vulnerable.
- Offering practical and financial help with producing publicity material including brochures, photographs and demo recordings.
- Providing sympathetic support and guidance with career decisions
The London concerts form part of the Monday Platform series at Wigmore Hall and Kings Place.
“The Tillett Trust has surpassed all my expectations. I felt great support from everybody involved from day one, and every venue where I have performed through the Tillett young musicians scheme has been top-notch. The opportunities that the scheme provided have helped me immensely in developing my career and the trust is now doing the same for my Piano Trio. I am very grateful to Katie Avey for all her advice and help and I would strongly recommend the Tillett Trust scheme to everyone who wants to take a large step forward in their career”
Alexander Sitkovetsky – September 2009
“Being on the Tillett young musicians scheme has been a tremendous boost for me, both in terms of concert experience and exposure. I can honestly say that the platform would be a great help for any young musician, providing an excellent springboard for a developing career”
Nicola Eimer – September 2005